Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Christopher and Christmas

posted by Will
Normally Christopher Hitchens' pose (over-the-top self-righteousness and contrarianism purely for the sake of contrarianism) strikes me as disingenuous, thin, fickle, and fueled by aggression. Claiming the mantle of pluralism, he has no actual capacity for it. He purports to combat absolutism in all its forms but has none of the elegance of a mind capable of accepting the reasonability of value judgments others make that do not match up exactly with his own. However, in his latest contribution to Slate, re: The War on Christmas, all that becomes purely amusing, which distracts me, momentarily at least, from his nastiness. I find that on this one point I could not agree with him more. And so, I wish him a Dickensian "Compliments of the season".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home